I thought I would do a post today about something I have been thinking about a lot lately. Something I wish I could have read when I was younger, not necessarily an open letter to my younger self but to everyone out there who’s struggling with not knowing what they want to do with their life, struggling with school, or coming into their 20’s and thinking what the actual f*ck is life about.
So here goes, 10 things I’ve learned in my 20’s.
- That being different is Ok. It’s actually better than okay, it’s pretty cool. It might feel the opposite when you’re in school or college, or even right now. You just need to identify yourself, and stick to your core morals and beliefs, it makes you a genuine person and ultimately unique? Who can do you as good as you? No-one.
- That there will be a time where you run out of all your clean knickers and you have to resort to your bikini bottoms or low and behold your boyfriends boxers. Failing that it’s pretty much commando, but hey ho it’s nice to have a bit of freedom sometimes.
- There will be days where you pig out enormously, don’t move from your bed and binge watch a 1* TV series, just because and THAT’S OKAY! Despite people telling you you need to get your life together you need some days where you dedicate some to time to yourself and maybe a bit of junk food & pizza.
- This one is my favourite thing I’ve learned so far I think. It may seem weird to the older generation who think we’re just a bunch of quitters but really we’re just in search of a life we love. This isn’t a bad thing. It means we’re growing, we want to see more of the world, be part of something bigger and that’s not a problem. Get the life experience you crave, visit different places and immerse yourself in culture. You’ve only got this one chance, so live your life exactly how you want to or you will just end up having regrets (and no one wants those).
- See as many live performances as possible. Whether this be a festival, a play, a gig or something else. See it. There’s nothing that brings your soul alive more than experiencing something first hand and living in that moment with the people you love, or just by yourself. My favourite memories are those where I get to see someone on stage singing to a crowd of people who are all there to have a good time. There truly is nothing better, or more educational.
- You’re going to make some fashion mishaps. It happens. You can’t go through your whole life drifting from one effortless outfit to the next unless you’re just born with style which most of us aren’t its something you learn because you love expressing yourself through clothes, and feeling confident. You know what they say, dress for the job you want and I want to be a f*cking success.
- That the best hangover food you can get is located just near the Arndale in Manchester at a place called Northern Soul. What better way to absorb the last dregs of alcohol left in your system than with a grilled cheese sandwich bigger than your head??
- It’s ok to be ambitious. In fact strive for what you want and do it young. Work hard for what you want, so that you can reap the benefits earlier. There’s no limit to hard work, self improvement and achieving your goals. No excuses, get up and do it. Start today, and do something that makes you happy.
- My favourite saying goes ‘You did not wake up today to be mediocre’. That’s right, you didn’t. You’re lucky to wake up everyday so make the most of it. Do something that makes you happy every single day, no matter how big or small.
- Talk about it. Being in your 20’s is hard, really really hard. You need to remember that if you’re feeling down, sad, depressed, anxious or anything like that you need to have an outlet and get the support you need. It’s nothing to be ashamed of, be proud that you’re strong enough to get the help you need, it’s hard but so rewarding. You can do it.
I hope some of these are as relatable for you as they are for me and you enjoyed reading about my struggles and realisations.
Until next time,